Brief; to creare an installation to fill a window based on our memories of our summer, through using our primary sources of drawing, photos, videos, found objects, leaflets etc which we colleted over our 6 week break.
Proposal: I aim to have strong links between my work and the artists which I research and aim to also utilise my experiemnts in an effective way. It will all be contained in a small window. I hope I can reflect my summer experience clearly and creatively.

Thursday 14 June 2012

Howard Hodgkin

“I have never enjoyed printmaking. But I equally hate painting. I am growing old and I do what I can do.” Howard Hodgkin

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/10/howard-hodgkin-art-interview

First impression, after looking over a few of Hodgkins work I did not truly understand these messages he was trying to make through his work, I think is might be because the work is so personal to Hodgkin and his memories. He work is quite enclosed to his own emotions and responding to his own experiences it is quite hard to interpret. The key features I noticed so Hodgkins work were the bold colours like lots of picasso’s later work. Also strong shapes such as squares and triangles, I think this has some reflection of cubism. I also noticed the detailed patterns, some pattern look very naively places and just splashed on, this could be Hodgkin wanting to imidetly refect how he felt at the time of the memoney, however some other marks look very much more placed. I think these were place later on when he went back to his work and tried to remember the memory.
After researching Howard Hodgkin I have discovered that Hodgkins intentions to make the views feel something, it does not matter if the emotions is realted to his he just wants an emotion. I think this is a very cleaver concept which I would hope to care into my work. Hodgkin uses pre-used frames and creates his own painted frame on top. Hodgkin uses bold coulors to convay emontion or a memory.


Sir Gordon Howard Eliot Hodgkin (1932) an abstacted britsh painter and prinkmarker. Hodgkin won a Turner prise Hodgkin was the cousin of Eliot Hodgkin (1905-87) whos work was very different, as he offtern painted fruit in a very realist style.

 http://poulwebb.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/howard-hodgkin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment